What do they look like and where do they live?
- Roundworms are large white worms, with cylindrical bodies
- The adult roundworm lives in the small intestine and feeds on the gut contents
How can my pet contract roundworm?
- Pets can contract roundworm by swallowing infected eggs from the environment
- Puppies are usually born infected with roundworms; kittens and puppies can also become infected via their mother’s milk
- If your pet likes hunting, then they can also be at risk of roundworm infections, by ingesting a paratenic host – such as rats or birds
How will this parasite affect my pet?
Symptoms can include:
- Pot belly
- Poor coat
- Poor growth
However there are often no outward signs.
Can this parasite affect my health?
Disease is not common, however it can be devastating where it does occur, as larvae can migrate within body tissues and in extreme cases can reach the eye causing blindness.