Biting Lice

Lice are small wingless insects that spend their entire life cycle on the host. If this type of louse targets your pet, it won’t give up easily.

What do they look like and where do they live?

  • Lice are small wingless insects that spend their entire life cycle on the host
  • They are highly host specific, meaning that a dog louse will not infect a cat, and vice versa

How can my pet contract Biting Lice?

  • Transmission of lice occurs via direct animal contact

How will this parasite affect my pet?

  • Signs usually relate to the damage caused to the skin when the louse feeds
  • Very young, old or debilitated animals are most at risk from this parasite
  • Heavy infestations can result in intense itching
  • Damage to the skin from scratching can result in inflammation, hair loss and bacterial infections

Can this parasite affect my health?

Lice are highly species specific; the dog louse will therefore not affect humans.