What do they look like and where do they live?
- Lice are small wingless insects that spend their entire life cycle on the host
- They are highly host specific, meaning that a dog louse will not infect a cat, and vice versa
How can my pet contract Biting Lice?
- Transmission of lice occurs via direct animal contact
How will this parasite affect my pet?
- Signs usually relate to the damage caused to the skin when the louse feeds
- Very young, old or debilitated animals are most at risk from this parasite
- Heavy infestations can result in intense itching
- Damage to the skin from scratching can result in inflammation, hair loss and bacterial infections
Can this parasite affect my health?
Lice are highly species specific; the dog louse will therefore not affect humans.